Saturday, April 25, 2009

Can't seem to find reality anywhere.

I had a conversation with a Documentarian the other day about an idea to make fictional stories have more weight... you know, like REALITY.

This all stems from my Full Frame experience, which I've gotta tell you, was rather life changing.

We came up with the idea of mixing our two genres, perhaps by using footage from reality to tell "Hollywood" type tales. Not that I want to tell those types of stories. It was just a conversation.

But then, freakily, Walt Disney comes up. The man himself.

When you go back and watch Bambi, notice the attention to realism. Then watch Planet Earth and see the personalities that each individual animal has.

Now go and check out Disney's Animal Stories.

Can't say I knew the man, but I don't get good impressions about him. That being said - what an ingenious idea!

I then turned to my Documentarian friend and offered a suggestion, "isn't that what narrative filmmaking is?"

To this he replies: "No"

After some thought, I agreed. Hollywood stories are lies - for the most part.

But a film I saw at the Festival: Carmen Meets Borat, was not. But it played out like it was written. That film has inspired me to work with reality.

Though don't get me wrong, I still think fiction is a good way to write to a "message", but however effective it may be, it can't hold a candle to reality.

I'm a hypocrite though. My next project is Sci-fi.

No comments:

Post a Comment